I sometimes have a hard time getting greens into my diet, so I’m a fan of blended sauces that let you throw a bunch of healthy foods together real quick. This whole meal takes about 20 minutes to whip up!
- 1lb pasta (any variety)
- 1 large avocado
- 1 – 3 cloves of garlic (raw or roasted), roughly chopped
- 2Tbsp white or yellow miso paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted walnuts (or cashews)
- big handful of greens (I use spinach, but you can use basil, kale, etc)
- 1 cup of reserved pasta water
- nutritional yeast to taste
- Boil water and add pasta. Cook until al dente and drain, reserving a cup of the pasta water. Lightly rinse the drained pasta with warm water.
- Place avocado, garlic, miso paste, lemon juice, walnuts, and greens into blender. Add about half of the reserved pasta water and blend until smooth. Add more water if the sauce is too thick, and keep adding to your desired thickness. I usually use about 3/4 cup in total.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce, either in individual plates or in a large pot. I like to add the nutritional yeast while mixing, and then add more on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional add ons: sundried tomatoes, tempeh, Sriracha, spring peas, red pepper flakes.
This could also be great as a spread in sandwiches and wraps.
Adapted from http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2016/02/raw-avocado-pesto-pasta.html